Use this online form below or mail your entry using the Print Version
Join the Dig! Digger Entry Form:
Welcome to the 2019 Annual World Championship Quartz Crystal Dg in Mount Ida, AR, the Quartz Crystal Capital of the World. This year’s two-day dig is scheduled for Friday and Saturday, October 11 – 12th. All amateur quartz crystal diggers are invited to enter.
ENTRY FEE: The dig entry fee is $115. Register early and save! Early bird discount is 25% off when registered by August 31, 2019. No refunds will be issued after October 1, 2018. Same day registration is $125 if space is available. Please note: Only 100 diggers may register for this year’s event.
- ADULT: Open to diggers 18 years of age or older. Awards presented in two categories, points and clusters.
- YOUNG MINERS: Open to diggers 17 and younger. Awards presented in one category, points and clusters combined.
- CLUB: Diggers may also team up with fellow rock, gem, and mineral club members to compete for bragging rights and a chance to win a free entry to next year’s dig. Be sure to list your club name on the entry form!
AWARDS AND PRIZES: A total of $2250 in prize money is awarded in three categories: Points, clusters, and young miners.
- 1st – 3rd place winners in each category receive a quartz crystal adorned award plaque.
- 1st – 5th place winners are awarded cash prizes as follows: 1st $250, 2nd $200, 3rd $150, 4th $100, 5th $50
Awards and prizes are presented during the Awards Celebration on Saturday evening. Each digger receives on complimentary meal ticket to the banquet. Additional meal tickets may be purchased for $15 each at the start of the banquet. If you prefer a vegetarian meal please so indicate on your entry form.
PARTICIPATING MINES: Twin Creek Crystal Mine (Upper and Lower Mines)
SCHEDULE: On Friday, October 11th, 7am, meet at the Montgomery County Fairgrounds (248 Fairgrounds Rd., Mount Ida, AR 71957) for orientation mine passes, and number assignment. Coffee and donuts provided. All diggers must check in at the fairgrounds before proceeding to the mines!
Digging begins at 8am and ends at 3pm. Diggers must check in, present their mine pass, and sign a liability waiver at their chosen mine each day. Diggers may not switch mines midday but may choose a different mine each day. Diggers may not leave the mine and return again after the same day. ONCE YOU LEAVE THE MINE YOU ARE DONE DIGGING FOR THE DAY. Plan ahead and bring plenty of water and snacks. Do not leave behind trash at the mines! If you see trash please pick up.
Diggers may enter the best point and best cluster they dug on each day for judging by a panel of experienced quartz crystal industry professionals. Diggers must submit their entries, in the numbered bags provided, to the Dig Master at the mine. Crystals for judging must be entered on the same day they were dug.
Judging takes place at the fairgrounds when the Dig Masters deliver the crystals to the Crystal Handlers. Digger may observe judging. Individual scores are posted after tabulation of the judges’ scores by the Scoring Committee. Awards are based on two-day cumulative points. Be sure to enter one point and one cluster each day.
Saturday, October 12th, 7:30am, meet at the fairgrounds for mine passes, dig announcements, and door prize drawings before proceeding to the mines. Digging begins at 8am and ends at 3pm. Individual scores are posted upon tabulation of the judges’ scores. Awards celebration begins at 6pm, awards presentation at 7pm. Crystals submissions may be recovered from the stage afterward, around 8m.
CAMPING: A limited number of RV spaces and Tent camping spaces are available at the Montgomery County fairgrounds provided by the MC fair board: $20 per night with electricity, $10 per night without electricity. Spaces are assigned on first come, first served basis with prepayment required for reservations. If you wish to camp at the fairgrounds please indicate the number of days._____ I wish to reserve a camping space for ____ days for an RV or Tent (circle choice) with or without electricity (circle choice). Please contact the Chamber to check availability, 870-867-2723 or [email protected]
ADDITIONAL EVENT T-SHIRTS: Each Digger will receive one Event T-Shirt with application. Preorder and save! Additional event T-shirts may be preordered for $15 each. Please include payment for your t-shirts with your registration. A limited number of event shirts will be available for purchase at the event for $20 each. Please pre-order to assure you get a shirt in your size.
Quartz, Quiltz & Craftz Festival
October 11 – 13, 2019
MONTGOMERY COUNTY FAIRGROUNDS—MOUNT IDA, ARKANSAS
Every year, Montgomery County of Arkansas comes alive with the Quartz, Quiltz & Crafts Festival (QQC). Dubbed The Quartz Crystal Capital of the World, the town of Mount Ida becomes a hub of activity for one memorable weekend every October. As you can tell by the name QQC is a combination of exciting activities:
- The World Championship Quartz Crystal Dig that any amateur crystal digger can join to find amazing Quartz Crystals and win fantastic prizes.
- A world-class Quilt display and competition, with vendors providing fabric scraps, books, and expert input on quilting.
- Craft vendors offering everything from hand-made soap and local jams to jewelry, wood crafting, local artists, and much more.
- Gem & Mineral vendors offering an astounding array of rocks, crystals, jewelry, cut gems, lapidary supplies, mineral specimens, and geological marvels. This is a rare chance to see crystal clusters worthy of museums as well as a simple “pocket-rock” that won’t break the bank.
- Of course there are also Food Vendors with a wide array of treats to nourish and delight.
Admission to the QQC festival is free.
If you would like to join the digging competition, fill out the Digger’s form and submit your entry fee below.
If you would like to be a vendor, there are two options. Craft vendors are indoors and should use the Craft Vendor form below to send the application and booth fees. Gem & Mineral vendors are outdoors and should use the Gem & Mineral form to send an application and booth fees. Food vendors with electricity requirements should contact the director at 1-870-867-2723 to make arrangements.
Scroll down to select the application and payment form for digging or vending. You may also pre-order T-shirts for the event on these forms.